STORIES TO SHARE/ GENERAL UPDATE:
Two down and four to go! Two pairs concluded their meetings for the year during the last week of May. Three matches will complete next week (the first week of June), and one will finish out the year during the last week of school. We have one senior graduating, and the remaining five matches have hopes of continuing next school year.
I know that many of the students are bummed to not be seeing their mentors weekly over summer, but I am offering ways to continue providing that needed connection despite the physical distance.
It has been a great year- full of many highs and a few learning curves. I am so thankful to have had the opportunity to watch relationships form and grow between our students and their mentors. I continue to learn a lot about myself and I am looking forward becoming more confident in my role next year.
PROGRAM DEVELOPMENTS/ UPDATES/ NEEDS:
- Five mentees partook in an end of year interview with Nancy McHarness- these were both encouraging and insightful for me. I was able to glean a lot of useful information from our students, and can see the positive impact that our mentor partnerships have had this year.
- I continue to compile lists of names of possible mentors and mentees to contact when school resumes in the fall. Let’s keep spreading the word!
- End of year meeting with area coordinators.
- Planning to deliver “BTO informational postcards” to 8th-11th graders next week to start the visual advertising for next year.
- I have contacted middle school staff to start compiling recommendations for incoming 9th graders that I will reach out to at the beginning of next school year.
- In June, I plan to attend the Youth Mental Health First Aid course given by the Lynden coordinators- I am really excited about this opportunity which is open to all mentors as well.
- Program planning for the 2021-2022 school year, setting goals, and planning for ways to reach more mentors in the fall.