Stories to share (names have been changed):
- Sometimes life outpaces our plans and preparations. Sam (a Mentor) was matched with Daniel (student) an eighteen-year-old senior with a history of life struggles. Soon Daniel was talking of moving out of his family home potentially leading to an erratic living situation. In conversation Daniel revealed his concerns about a lack of general life skills. Sam set a plan to help offer practical support and training starting with personal finance. Sam collected resources from his bank and other sources to make the learning as close to real life as possible. The learning that followed was fueled by the pressure of daily realities and hopes of preparation for a better life in the days ahead.
- Can’t say no to a puppy. The Counseling Hub buzzed when I mentioned Eva (mentor) had requested to bring her puppy to meet Lisa (student). Everybody looked at the vice-principal and waited for his positive response. We got the “yes” and Pepper (puppy) has been a welcome visitor. Eva, Lisa and Pepper have enjoyed walks around campus on bright fall afternoons.
November Mentoring Update:
- One new match at the High School.
- Currently seven active matches, three at the Middle School and four at the High School.
- Several matches in process with hopeful start-ups in early December.
- Seven mentors approved awaiting matches.
- One student approved, six in process.
- Attended “Vaping” training with NV, Lynden and Ferndale Mentors and Coordinators.
- Hosted Orientation at NVHS. Six potential NV Mentors attended.
- Attended Orientation at LMS. One potential NV Mentors attended.
- Attended monthly Coordinators meeting.
- NV Schools offered Youth Mental Health First Aid to Mentors.
- Took photos, coordinated shirt orders, adjusted schedules, listened and learned.
- Next Orientation Monday December 9.
- Monthly Coordinators Wednesday December 11
- Supporting mentors in supporting students with potential holiday stresses.
Be the One Community Mentor Coordinator @ Nooksack Valley High School & Middle School.