Students respond to, “What did you appreciate about mentoring?”
- I enjoyed… being able to talk to somebody that I felt close to.
- (My mentor was) dope.
- I loved the fun and games.
Mentors respond to, “What did you appreciate about mentoring?” (names have been changed)
- I really enjoyed getting to know Tori… sharing her art and struggles – hearing her laugh.
- Establishing a bond with my mentee in spite of her needing to change schools and the pandemic...
- Love(d) working with… students and watching them grow.
- The interactions with teens, building relationships with them and watching them grow and mature.
- I enjoy getting to know the kids. I like the idea of helping them… through (building) a trusted relationship.
- Nick is a fine young man. It is a privilege to work with him.
- Reconnecting (I worked with both girls in elementary school) as well as helping them through unexpected life changes that happened during the time, I mentored them.
- It is very important to me that Loren has a consistent adult in her life who is committed to her well-being. I want her to know that she can rely upon me to be available for her throughout her school years.
June/end of year actions:
- we ended the year with 15 matches, 6 Middle School, 9 high school, at one point we had a total of 17 matches
- matches continued meeting via Zoom, email, and letters during the early school closure
- supported mentors during school closure through varied means including group video meetings
- regular (video, when needed) meetings with area Coordinators
- regular participation in mentor training sessions
- joined conferences and training to help with mentoring during this unique time of school closure
- transitioned matches to summer mode
- all active mentors (who responded to our survey) have indicated interest in returning in the fall
- working with school leadership, area coordinators, PFS leadership, mentors, and students to preparing for the coming school year
- specifically working with area coordinators to develop new mentor training(s) that specifically help mentors and students maximize support in this time of health crisis and cultural upheaval
Be the One Community Mentor Coordinator @ Nooksack Valley High School & Middle School.