Students respond to, “What did you appreciate about mentoring?”
- I enjoyed… being able to talk to somebody that I felt close to.
- (My mentor was) dope.
- I loved the fun and games.
Mentors respond to, “What did you appreciate about mentoring?” (names have been changed)
- I really enjoyed getting to know Tori… sharing her art and struggles – hearing her laugh.
- Establishing a bond with my mentee in spite of her needing to change schools and the pandemic...
- Love(d) working with… students and watching them grow.
- The interactions with teens, building relationships with them and watching them grow and mature.
- I enjoy getting to know the kids. I like the idea of helping them… through (building) a trusted relationship.
- Nick is a fine young man. It is a privilege to work with him.
- Reconnecting (I worked with both girls in elementary school) as well as helping them through unexpected life changes that happened during the time, I mentored them.
- It is very important to me that Loren has a consistent adult in her life who is committed to her well-being. I want her to know that she can rely upon me to be available for her throughout her school years.
June/end of year actions:
- we ended the year with 15 matches, 6 Middle School, 9 high school, at one point we had a total of 17 matches
- matches continued meeting via Zoom, email, and letters during the early school closure
- supported mentors during school closure through varied means including group video meetings
- regular (video, when needed) meetings with area Coordinators
- regular participation in mentor training sessions
- joined conferences and training to help with mentoring during this unique time of school closure
- transitioned matches to summer mode
- all active mentors (who responded to our survey) have indicated interest in returning in the fall
- working with school leadership, area coordinators, PFS leadership, mentors, and students to preparing for the coming school year
- specifically working with area coordinators to develop new mentor training(s) that specifically help mentors and students maximize support in this time of health crisis and cultural upheaval