A few highlights:
Another mentor student pair from last year finally have an appointment to meet in person this next week. They have had some email and snail mail exchanges in the past few months, but really wanted to get together in person. We now have a date that works and the student now can drive, so transportation isn’t a barrier. The mentor messaged: “Tell her I am excited to FINALLY see her!” The student messaged: “I am so excited, too!”
Our January Mentor Equipping featured a panel of student voices. The LHS mentee representative did a great job sharing about her experiences in school and during COVID, and how her mentor has really been a lifeline for her.
I was asked to be part of a presentation on Mentoring to our newly elected State Representative, Alicia Rule on January 26th. I only had a few minutes to share about BTO, the challenges our students face, and the way mentors support them. The best part of our conversation? Rep. Rule said: “I have heard great things about Be the One. Thank you for the great work you are all doing!”
- 16 mentor/mentee pairs have been meeting each week in person at the high school either after school or on Fridays—observing social distancing and health requirements
- Another mentor student pair reconnected in person after not seeing each other since March 2020.
- 8 mentor/mentee pairs have been meeting regularly in the community with off-campus contract privileges
- A few other pairs are meeting via zoom weekly or bi-weekly
- Some are still struggling to connect for a variety of reasons
On-going: continuing with 7 pairs on the text bridge pilot and supporting our newest program coordinator at Lynden Christian.
Mentor Washington: I have been asked to serve on the Provider Council this year.
Mentor National: Attended the National Summit (virtually) Jan 28-29. Some great workshops and networking opportunity.
- February Equipping: Will be an informal mentor meeting with just my school mentors.
- Continuing to be flexible with ever changing schedules and needs as we enter semester 2.