Stories to share:
“A mentee wore his Be the One shirt to school and said to his mentor, “Look at my new shirt!” The next time they met, his mentor wore his shirt, too. Mentors and mentees show they care about each other in little ways throughout their time together.”
“Kathy Young, a Ferndale resident and owner of SOS Tutoring, is a Be the One mentor. She has been with her mentee since March of 2019, meeting with her mentee on a weekly basis. Kathy has also attended trainings to learn more about youth-related topics, including a training on Hope. She volunteered at the FHS open house in September, planned a Be the One Pizza Party for students and mentors in December, and also regularly donates items to meet various needs within FHS. Kathy is passionate about serving the Ferndale community and Be the One is thankful to have her as a mentor! Thank you, Kathy!”
- Start 5 new matches – (Actual: 2 new matches)
- 36 matches – (Actual: 34 matches)
- Start 5 new matches – We need more mentors (15 girls/7 boys waiting for a mentor)
- 39 matches – Need 4 new matches every month to reach 50 matches by June
- 34 Active Matches
- 1 mentor (0 male; 1 female) waiting to be matched w/mentee – 8 more onboarding
- 13 mentees (4 male; 9 female) waiting to be matched w/mentor – 10 more onboarding
- New Mentor Orientations: 7 people attended this month
- BTO Coordinator meeting – January 22nd. Hosted in Lynden.
- Ferndale Community Coalition – January 30th – BTO Presentation and collaboration
- New Mentor Orientations Scheduled: February,7th 1-3pm & February 25th 9-11am
- All mentors are now fingerprinted at the Ferndale District Office. Digital fingerprinting is more efficient. (No longer having mentors get manually fingerprinted at the police department or WWU). Digital Fingerprinting Appointments made through Nicole Smith, 360-383-9206.
- High Mentor engagement with FHS – Mentors chaperoning Tolo dance, access to FHS weekly newsletter, need-based donations given to FHS, attending FHS activities (sports, concerts, etc.)
Big Goal: 50 active matches by end of the school year!
Submitted by Annie Anderson
To Partners for Schools board members via Nancy Mcharness
Copies to: Community Engagement team via Scott and Anita Locker, FHS Principals Jeremy Vincent & David Rodriguez, and BTO Coordinators Lisa Reynolds, Brian Clemmer, & Jim Schmotzer