Checking the pulse:
We recently spent time with every superintendent and most principals in the schools where BTO is present. Each one expressed their deep gratitude for the great community support of BTO. They shared their hearts for the varying needs of many students and families as well as teachers in our communities during these challenging times. We were deeply touched by their tenacious creativity in meeting those needs!
Here are some of the challenges being faced:
- Pandemic “fatigue”, being weary of everything covid related is universal.
- Teachers and students alike experience stress with online learning.
- More students are suffering from depression!
- Suicidal ideation has risen within the student population.
- Many “good” students are now “failing”.
- Many students carry extra family responsibilities while parents work.
- Teachers can struggle with isolation, needing support and connection too.
Please thank Everyone who works in your local schools for their community service as “frontline” workers!
A supportive community is so valuable!
We are often thanked by school staff, students, parents and community leaders, for the BTO Programs. However, it is your investment of time and finances that makes it happen. This letter from NVSD Superintendent Mark Johnson explains why your investment makes all the difference!
Back to School in February!
Student’s in middle and high school are now back in school in every school district we serve! The hybrid models vary, but students are expressing gratitude to be back in the classroom interacting in person. New mentoring matches will now be possible on several campuses. Some students and their mentors are getting to see each other in person for the first time in a year since schools closed! Each week, the number of students seeing their mentor in person increases!